Where: Chicago, IL
Who: Big Ten Network
Field: Live Broadcast / Sports / TV News / Technical Operations
Type: Full Time
This position manages the staff responsible for the maintenance and operation of the Big Ten Network and all related technical equipment, including studio, remote production “At Home”/”Remi” live event productions, digital media, and transmission facilities. Responsibilities also include managing the operation and maintenance of
the Big Ten Network broadcast facilities located at each Big Ten University. This encompasses campus studio, portable production systems and LAN/WAN connections to the Universities. Other duties include the planning, budgeting, and design for all technical and facility changes/additions.
An extensive knowledge of broadcast/systems engineering is required. This includes all IP based video streaming and file transfer technologies. A thorough understanding of network and computer systems engineering and operation is also required.
The VP of Engineering is responsible for annual capital budgeting and providing critical support, guidance, and strategy for capital budget purchases. VP of Engineering will work with the support of Fox engineering team with all vendor relationships and capital purchases.
Supervise the current Director of Systems Engineering/Director of Broadcast engineering and assign and manage project tasks they are responsible for executing. Develop engineering schedules to ensure that all content being produced has engineering support.
• Set project priorities and implement design and drafting standards and procedures to ensure standardized and accurate system design and documentation.
• Effectively communicates project expectations to team members and stakeholders.
• Monitor progress of the implementation of a project and estimate completion date of projects.
• Project resource estimation and develop capital budget proposals.
• Delegate tasks and responsibilities to ensure the successful implementation of a project.
• Develop a strong working relationship with FOX engineering with regular communication.
• Communicate with Contracted Design Engineers, Managers and/or Project Managers to resolve design discrepancies or issues.
• Keep all stakeholders updated on project status and progress.
• Ensure completed work is accurately documented, Deviations from the intended design needs to be marked up (“redlined”) and properly documented with the CAD Engineers
• Perform and supervise end of year and interim inventory counts.
• Maintenance and inventory of company-owned equipment
• BS degree or equivalent experience in electronics or broadcast engineering preferred.
• 10+ years’ experience with Network Design, Operational Support, and Hands-On implementation & 7+ years of engineering management is required.
• Must be knowledgeable in all areas of production and master control familiar with all broadcast systems to include SDVN, PTP, IP Audio, transmission encode and decode, OTT.
• Highly proficient in MS Office
• Experience in a file-based workflow desired; experience in a 720p High-Definition production facility desired/ CCNA and MCSE certification desired.
• Must be knowledgeable in all areas of technical production, and familiar with all production equipment and networking, CAD experience desired.
• Strong analytical/communicative skills essential
• Dynamic leadership and people skills, ability to connect with all departments in an office environment
• Reasonable mathematical skills required, strong reasoning Skills & technical troubleshooting skills essential.
• Must be a self-starter who pays attention to details and has strong project management skills.
• Ability to clearly convey ideas and concepts to support management business objectives is essential.
• Long hours/schedule and weekend and holiday shifts as required.
Must update skills and knowledge to keep pace with changing technology
* We have partnered with ProductionHUB to provide you with the most valuable and exclusive job service in the industry.